It is 6:00 am on a Saturday and I am wide awake. No matter how hard I try I can’t sleep. Rather than fight it downstairs I go. I find that sleeplessness has it\’s advantages; deciding to catch up on the many blogs I follow (50+). I love reading other peoples blogs because it inspires me to be more creative; to work harder at the things I love to do; and when you feel creatively dead – they help to get those creative juices flowing again.
Oh, and one more thing about other blogs – you find out you are not alone in this crazy world. There are people that love the same things; struggle with the same things; are just as crunched with time and struggling to keep it together – Just Like Me.
There are times as a blogger that you feel you have failed. You struggle to get out that next post and guilt settles in; feel you are neglecting your work and apologizing for not being more faithful. This is something a blogger must overcome and move on.
Caramel Almond Toffee Crunch Brownie
(hopefully you will want to make this decadent dessert for you sweetheart)
3/4 cup butter (melted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Prepare a 8-inch square pan with vegetable spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl (I just use a wooden spoon for this, but you can use an electric mixer.) Add eggs; beat well with a spoon.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually add this to the egg mixture until well blended.
4. Spread into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from pan.
5. Cool; cut into squares.
6. To serve – place a brownie square on a dessert plate. Drizzle warm caramel sauce (recipe follows) over the brownie. Take a piece of Almond Toffee Crunch (recipe follows) and crush it into pieces. Sprinkle over top of the caramel sauce and brownie. Serve with a piece of Almond Toffee Crunch candy.
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1. In a 2-quart saucepan heat corn syrup, brown sugar and butter to boiling over low heat. Stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes; stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in heavy cream and heat to boiling. Cool about 30 minutes. (This can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 months.)
Almond Toffee Crunch
4 sticks or 1 lb. of butter
2 cups sugar
4 oz. Hershey Bar – crushed (put in freezer let the bar get hard; then place in a zip-loc bag and crush. Freezing it makes it easier to crush)
4 oz. almonds, chopped
1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. (rub baking sheet with a little butter; then place parchment paper on top. Butter helps hold parchment in place.)
2. Mix together the crushed Hershey bar and the chopped almonds. Spread 1/2 of the chocolate/nut mixture on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Cook butter and sugar in a 2-quart sauce pan over medium heat; stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 280 degrees on a candy thermometer. Spread evenly (this must be done immediately) on to the baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate/nut mixture on the top of the caramel.
5. Let it cool completely. Crack into small candy pieces.
Happy Valentine’s Day
Yum!! Sounds (and looks) delicious 🙂 Don't beat yourself up about posting (or not posting)… Life is always more important! And you are loved no matter what 🙂
Looks yummy Libby!! I always love your blog 🙂